Pink Trash Travels


Becoming Dumbfounded

Having spent the last 18 months in Paris, I've learned enough French to survive. I wouldn't say I'm fluent, but I can communicate on a basic level. Yet when it comes to daily activities such as the grocery store, I find myself becoming somewhat of an introvert. It's easier at times to be quiet vs. sourcing the right words to say. So when I come home to Chicago and go to the gym, for example, I'm startled and baffled when someone asks me a question. I become a bit dumbfounded.

It's a strange sensation to fully understand when strangers address you with words you comprehend. Something so basic takes on new meaning. In short, it's easy. And to be able to reply with confidence and have faith that you're selecting the correct order of verbs and nouns is priceless.

With Germany on the horizon, I've already begun the process of trying to assimilate. By purchasing two CDs yesterday by Michel Thomas, noted language instructor to the stars, I hope to secure a basic vocabulary by the time we move to Munich in April or May. But with the move, I've accepted the fact that I won't truly be myself until the end of 2007. Because I like to talk, just not that much when my choice of words might not make sense.