Pink Trash Travels


Melting Meat

I found some delicious wheat buns at the grocery store the other day. I thought they'd make the perfect house for a hamburger, pastrami or corned beef sandwich. And because I tried them out with beef last night while Chris was in Paris, tonight I opted for the deli sandwich.

So earlier today, I bought saurkraut, "American dressing," low-fat mozzarella cheese and what I thought was corned beef. It said so on the package. It was low fat. I thought it would be perfect.

But when I topped the piles of meat with cheese and placed in the oven, and returned five minutes later, what I found were two mounds of decomposed meat. It looked like baby food. Fortunately, the cheese kept some of the melted corned beef in a workable shape.

"What the hell?" I thought. After closer inspection of the package, turns out the Deutsches Cornedbeef was 87% rindfleisch (meat) with the second ingredient being Schwarten (which is gelatin). Makes sense why it literally melted.

I decided, even though it no longer looked like meat, that we'd still eat it. "It could be the best sandwich ever!" I said. Turns out it wasn't. Though, Chris thought more negatively of my concoction than I did. I compared it to something like Manwhich. He thought it was too mooshy - bun and all. This is exactly why I don't experiment when he's in town.