Pink Trash Travels


Following Muscle Chow

I'm reading a book Chris gave to me for Easter called Muscle Chow by Men's Health and Gregg Avedon. I know I don't eat enough to gain some muscle mass, but this book helped me to drive the thought home. So, today I'm trying to follow some rules Gregg outlines (if only we were on a first name basis). However, having just eaten an apple with some peanut butter and a small glass of milk, I'm already starving (this was, of course, after my two protein shakes before and after the gym).

According to Gregg, eating an apple, due to its high soluble and insoluble fiber content, should keep me satisfied for a good length of time. Wrong. Instead, I can't wait until my next meal of ham on a small pretzel (sure, the pretzel is more simple than complex carbs but I can't go completely crazy).

I've also decided I'm not eating enough fruits and vegetables - especially the later. So, if I don't find myself consuming enough of the green, I've decided I'll try steaming broccoli, mixing it with quark and water, and drinking the goo as fast as possible. This way, I get the nutrients I need but only have to suffer for 10 or less seconds.

But don't get me wrong. I'm not in one of those bulk-up modes I swore I'd never repeat. I'm happy with how things are settling around my midsection. I just want to ensure I'm feeding myself enough food to reap the benefits of my 1 1/2 hours in the gym everyday. I don't go there just for fun (well, on some days I do - especially when those like Mr. Pirate surprisingly show up).