Pink Trash Travels


German Food Discovery: Quark

I've seen Quark at the Sofitel breakfast buffet, but I never tried it. For some reason, I thought it was a high fat cheese spread. But while I was at the market today, I spotted some in the dairy aisle and decided to give it a taste. Turns out it's the perfect high protein snack.

It's like fromage blanc I found in France (which is like thick whipped cottage cheese). But Quark is even thicker and not as tart. It has the consistency of Betty Crocker frosting, and even looks like the cake topping, but of course Quark is minus the trans fats, sugars (and sweety goodness). But if you add a dollup of low sugar jam or fruit of the season, Quark packs a delicious and health punch with only .5 grams of fat per 100 grams, 4 grams of carbs and 13 grams of protein! Consider this my new secret weapon against my war on back fat!