Pink Trash Travels


My Hunt 4 Whole Wheat

I've been on the hunt for whole wheat bread products in Munich (especially in the form of buns to host our turkey brats). The problem is, however, I didn't know what whole wheat was in German until today. And even then, I'm still not quite sure.

But what I did find out is that German "Weizenmehl," or flour, is milled from soft, European wheats lower in protein and water absorption capacity than the hard wheats grown in North America (The all-purpose flour used for baking in America is generally a blend of hard and soft wheat flours and may be bleached or unbleached). The good news is only unbleached flour is available in Germany, which has higher nutritional value.

So it looks like we can't go wrong when eating those carbs that, in America, would raise our insulin levels to fat building proportions. Well, I hope that's the case anyway. If not, that back fat will be sticking around a little longer.