Pink Trash Travels


Tuscany Live! Day 2

I was irritated this morning as I didn't get up in time to go for a run along the country road lined with historic cypress trees. Instead, I slept until 9. So after a lazy morning and a bowl of granola, yogurt and berries (and a shower of course), we were off to explore the countryside around 10:30.

We opted to visit Montalcinesi as our villa hosts told us it was not only beautiful but there was an impressive pastry shoppe in the village square (and as many of you know, nothing gets Chris more excited than a sweet treat). Luckily for my queasy stomach, it took less than 30 minutes winding through the wheat fields to reach the heart of Montalcinesi.

The village is charming - having everything I expect from a Tuscan destination. There were restaurants galore, wine shoppes, honey stores and a fortress built atop the hillside overlooking the countryside. But best of all (and our reason for going), was the pastry shoppe.

Pasticceria Mariuccia, opened in 1935, features an array of home baked delicacies. I'm not quite sure all we bought as the treats are still sitting in a bag next to the bed. We did, however, sample a few as we made our way to the fortress including lemon pastries, butter cookies and my favorite "chocolate and nuts" (as described by the gentleman behind the counter) - somewhat of a cross between a double chocolate cookie, brownie and fudge bar.

Of course, because I had more than I should of the "chocolate and nuts" delight, I had to return to the villa and find time for that must-have run. "Why not torture my knees a bit," I thought. So while I wobbled up and down our 5 kilometer driveway, Chris ventured out to shop for goat cheese while Mark and Greg relaxed by the pool. Something for everyone I suppose.