Pink Trash Travels


Why Brian, Why?

It used to be when I watched TV programs, the majority of characters were older than me. From Dynasty to Friends, the shows depicted the trials and tribulations of those my senior. But as I watched for the first time What About Brian on our satellite tonight, I realized I’m now the same age as many of the inhabitants on prime time.

It’s something I never really thought about – and most likely took for granted. But seeing Brian and his friends gather around the dinner table gave me a reality check. That kind of show is all about “thirtysomethings” just as “thirtysomething” was a show about old people to me in the 80s. Now I’m one of them.

Even sadder is the fact that it’s something I can’t avoid. If anything, I can make the situation worse by switching to the CW and watching Smallville or Supernatural where everyone is barely of drinking age. So unless I start watching reruns of Murder She Wrote, I'm screwed.